Monday, August 29, 2011

Desk Transformation

I live close to a college that will periodically throw out random furniture pieces with a big free sign. I had seen these desks several times and regretted not scooping them up for my kids. So, the last time I saw them I slammed on the breaks and stuffed two into my already full car and brought them back to my already full garage where they've been living for months now, untouched. Until today!

While A is still a long way off from school-ish activities, Y is just on the brink! I've been crafting up educational tools and lesson ideas in my head and home (stay tuned for a post about the pocket chart that killed my favorite sewing machine :( and why sometimes just 'cause you can make something doesn't mean it'll be easier than buying it). Today's project: The Desk.

BEFORE:



AFTER:


I sanded the wood a little (like 2 seconds) and chipped off 2 chunks or nearly fossilized gum (yuk!). Then I primed and painted with all Rustoleum spray paints. The desktop is chalkboard, and I used my Cricut with the Cindy Lou cartridge to make the stencils for the name and little deery. Y is almost as thrilled with it as I am. I can't wait to do A's. And also, now I want to make tons of stencils and make graffiti-esque art on things :P haha spray painting is fun.

Todays Creative Blog





IHeart Organizing


5 comments:

Laura said...

This is an AWESOME transformation!! I love!! :)

Nitasha said...

oHmyGoodness...I could slap myself because we had one of these desks for years and then finally sold it at a garage sale...if I'd known how cute it could be I would have kept it! This is just too cute! Thanks so much for the inspiration!(so glad I saw your link up on Creative Home Ideas)

Chef in Training said...

love this! It looks great!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Plus there is a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com

Angela@the crazyness that is me said...

WOW!! This looks amazing and super cute. Great work

Karima said...

Wow, what a great job you did! Saw you on linky party and now google following you, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com