Tuesday, September 13, 2011

freehand floral bleach jersey scarf

Today's project is somewhat sloppy/impromptu and performed using just random stuff I happened to have on hand, but I'm kinda stoked with the results and also ANYONE can do this!

I had this abnormally long strip of jersey, because one time I made a baby wrap and thought I'd make two, but I never did and after about 4 random trips through my laundry, I was fed up with this big purposeless piece of fabric.
It's actually a super soft and slinky knit fabric, that feels really nice, and also, I love jersey scarfs If I was a super good screen printer (or if I ever have even tried screen printing) I think I would make millions of awesome jersey scarves. . . . so I decided to make a scarf!
HOWEVER, since I'm not skilled in the art of screen printing, I fumbled around for a plan B, and found my clorox bleach pen. So that's your supply list folks: long strip of knit fabric and a bleach pen
My pattern inspiration was this Oh Joy! wallpaper that I have been more-than-in-love with ever since I saw it featured on Secrets of A Stylist.


My bleach pen was not full so I had to place my flowers fewer and far between. I thought it would bleach completely white, but it turned a really coral-ish color, which incidentally looks great and pretty fall-fabulous, which is a happy accident!

Directions:
1. freehand your design with the bleach pen and don't expect perfection ( it will glob and bubble, just go with it). 2. wait, (i tried to wait an hour but probably only made it about 40 minutes)
3. rinse off bleach, this was stressful to me, I did it in my sink with the hand sprayer and got some bleach spots on other parts of the scarf, but all in all, just roll with it, this is a bleach-spotty project!
4. wash and dry in machine


Here's the result:
oh and pssttt...my model is my always-gets-confused-for-my-sister-but-is-actually-my- mom mother, she was having a way cuter day than I was, so she gets to show off the goods ;) Love you, mamma!

Todays Creative Blog



1 comment:

Taumi said...

totally want to try this! awesome idea.